Pittsburgh Penguins fire head coach Mike Johnston. Mike Johnston was hired in the summer of 2014. Johnston was fired a couple of weeks ago off to a sluggish start. Johnston's record went 58-37-18 during his brief stint with Pittsburgh. Mike Sullivan was named the head coach after Mike Johnston was fired. Sullivan was head coach of the Boston Bruins in 2003-2006. Pittsburgh Penguins record is 15-10-3 and in fifth place in the Metropolitan division. The Penguins are 28th ranked in scoring in the NHL. The Penguins hope that Sullivan will help the team the spark that they need. General manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins said, "I wanted somebody new to come in that the players aren't going to totally know, Jim Rutherford said. "I think that he can come in and mold what we're doing going forward." In 2014 Pittsburgh's record was 16-4 one of the best records in the NHL last year. The Penguins has been dealing with injures that is effecting their power play and is not allowing them to set up pretty goals rather than producing shots or traffic around the net. Pittsburgh acquired Phil Kessel to give Malkin a potent running mate and bringing in veteran forward Eric Fehr moves that will take the burden off the top line. Sidney Crosby only has 22 points this season and is off to the worst start of his decade long career. Pittsburgh is 26th with the man advantage this season. Malkin is leading the Penguins with 13 goals and 13 assists. Top goaltender Marc-Andre Fluery is on injured reserved with a concussion.
I picked this because I was surprised that the Penguins fired their head coach. The Penguins fired two head coaches in back to back seasons. Also, I wanted to do the blog on Mike Johnston getting fired because I don't like the Penguins. This was one of the biggest stories in the NHL.
No comments:
Post a Comment